Grading Permits

A Grading Permit (PDF) is required when ground disturbance exceeds 5,000 square feet or 100 cubic yards of earth. At sites with less than 5,000 square feet of disturbance, a grading permit is not required; however, the developer must provide sediment controls at the site.

Approval of a building permit may be held pending the requirements of a grading permit.

Standard Sediment Control Plan

For single-family residential construction or minor grading activities, you may be eligible for a Standard Sediment Control Plan if the total disturbance does NOT EXCEED 30,000 square feet or 1,000 cubic yards of earth movement. 

For a more detailed summary of the requirements and forms, contact Bonding and Permit Administration at 410-638-3507. Those sites that do not qualify for the above will require an engineered plan and grading permit. Approval of a building permit will be held pending satisfaction of these requirements.

Agency approval

The grading permit process is a computerized system through which each agency has access to the information immediately. Grading permits are subject to approval by the following agencies:

When the grading permit is issued, it is forwarded to the Bureau of Construction Inspections and is delivered to the contractor at the preconstruction meeting.