Prepare/Research Information

Do Not Delay Reporting an Incident
If the release has the potential to cause illness, injury or damage on site or off site, do not hesitate to ask for assistance. Immediate on site response to a hazardous materials incident, to prevent possible off site problems, is good but should not be done with untrained people who may be killed, seriously injured or subject to health risks.

Information for the Report
The National Response Center will have to be notified of the covered release. After the incident is under control, a written report has to be submitted to the LEPC and MDE and the National Response Center. This report should include:
  1. Name of chemical released
  2. If the chemical is a listed EHS
  3. Quantity of chemical released
  4. Date, time and duration of release
  5. Person who provided initial verbal notification to the National Response Center
  6. Identification of the environmental media into which the release occurred
  7. Health risks (know or anticipated acute or chronic risks associated with the release)
  8. Medical attention and information availability
  9. Precautions that were taken to prevent a recurrence of a similar release
  10. Further information that is relevant to the chemical release
If a fire should occur in an on site farm or co-op storage containing EHS or hazardous chemicals, it can be reportable under Section 304. It is wise to submit a site plan to notify emergency responders of storage locations. If a storage area is involved in a fire, expect the firefighters to allow this fire to burn as hot as possible to consume the stored materials. Notification of storage areas can eliminate any "guess work" by emergency responders and assist in fire suppression activities.

Chemical Inventory Reporting
Under SARA Title III, Section 311 and 312, Chemical Inventory Reporting, any chemical used in routine agricultural activities is exempt from reporting. If any inventory is maintained for non-agricultural uses, over the designated TPQ or 10,000 pounds, it must be reported to the Maryland Department of the Environment, the Harford County Local Emergency Planning Committee and the local fire department who responds to your facility.

For additional information on SARA Title III contact Harford County Division of Emergency Operations at 410-638-4900 or email your request.