Information & Communication Technology Teams
- Application Development
- Database Administration - GIS Inclusion
- Network Systems Architecture
- Project Management
- Technical Support Services
Our Application Development group installs, maintains and troubleshoots web based and mainframe applications. The application development group provides support to every Harford County Agency. The following are some examples of applications supported by the group.
Payroll Time Entry for All Harford County Agencies
Inspections, Licensing and Permits include:
- Building, Electrical, Plumbing and Mechanical Permits
- Contractor Licensing (Electrical, Plumbing and Mechanical)
- Dog Licensing
- Inspections (for HCG issued permits and Municipality permits)
- Stop Work Order Enforcement
- Use and Occupancy Permitting
- Water and Sewer Area Charges
Parking/Animal Control Ticket Systems include:
- Department of Inspection, Licensing and Permits - Animal Control Division
- Facilities for Harford County Government
- Sheriff’s Department
Developer/Capital Project Cost Accounting System
Financial Accounting Systems include:
- General Ledger Accounting (FAMIS)
- Budgeting (BPREP)
- Purchasing (ADPICS)
- Asset Management (FAACS)
- Systemwide (ADHOC) reporting
FAMIS Enterprise Reporting System (XLR)
Water and Sewer Systems include:
- Water and Sewer Billing
- Payment Processing (CORE, Checking Services, Official Payments and LockBox)
Our Database Administration group is responsible for the design, development, implementation and maintenance of database and data structures throughout their life cycle. The database group manages enterprise level databases in both the production and development environments, database servers and their resident databases. Performance monitoring, backup/recovery, problem research and error analysis are performed daily.
The group also supports new development efforts from a database design, model management and object development perspective. Harford County Government currently resides on the following platforms: Enterprise level databases for Microsoft SQL 2008, 2012, 2016, 2017 and 2019
The Geographic Information System (GIS) section of ICT is responsible for the maintenance and distribution of County spatial data. Examples of data layers include planimetric, topographic, orthophotography, lidar, and cadastral. Data is stored in an enterprise geodatabase , file geodatabases, and shapefiles, and is accessed and shared through a variety of ESRI products, including ArcGIS, ArcGIS Server, and ArcGIS Online.
Our Network/Systems Architecture group installs, maintains and troubleshoots network and telephony (voice) services to over 60 sites throughout Harford County. The data network provides employee computer access to email, network shared drives, server and mainframe applications (examples: Interactive Workforce, FAMIS, ADPICs), VPN for working from home and a secure connection to the Internet for web browsing.
Telecommunications provides the above services over 4 types of networks:
- Internet – In addition to general web browsing, the Internet is used to provide private and secured communications to several remote locations
- Local Area Network (LAN) – provides communications within a building or site between desktop computers, laptops and printers
- Metro Area Network (MAN) – provides communications over Harford County’s privately built fiber network in downtown Bel Air; currently connecting 14 buildings
- Wide Area Network (WAN) – provides communications over greater distances to remote sites throughout the county via local carriers
The county phone systems, provisioned by Telecommunications, are called PBXs (private branch exchanges). These PBX systems, in addition to basic voice calls, provide features such as voice mail, conferencing, paging, directory listings, transferring and menu/trees. An additional component to the telephony services is the acquisition and administration of cell phone and wireless broadband devices.
Our Project Management Group provides oversight to contracted and internal initiatives as well as developing web-based application solutions for Harford County Government. The following are some examples of applications supported by the group.
- County Council Document Management System - Web based application that manages the County's legislative documents.
- Customer Project Analysis System (COMPASS) - Web based application that manages and tracks Water and Sewer projects through each phase of the life cycle.
- Energov - Web based software is specifically designed to automate and centrally connect critical processes including land use planning and project review, regulatory license management, permitting, inspections, code enforcement and citizen requests.
- Enterprise Contract Management System (ECMS) - Web based application that manages a contract from initiation of a solicitation through the bid process to the awarding and renewing of a contract or contracts.
- Fire Code Application - allows users to verify and maintain fire codes, inquire on real property accounts and print reports and labels.
- Forms Tracking Application - Web based application that posts, tracks and processes Human Resources Termination, Personnel Requisitions (PRA), Personnel Authorizations (PAA), and Computer Access Requests (CAR) forms in the SharePoint environment.
- ViewIT - used to track help desk calls received and report on open and closed calls.
- Infrastructure Database System - keeps track of all properties and buildings that Harford County owns or leases.
- Miss Utility System - tracks Water and Sewer miss utility tickets of properties that required Harford County to mark location of Water and Sewer lines.
- SharePoint - Web based platform that allows for content and document management, collaboration and communication with Harford county internal and external agencies.
- Snow Plow Tracker - Web based application that will track county vehicles during a snow storm.
- Taxnet - web based application that calculates property tax, assessment tax and business tax, and to create tax bills which are printed and sent to Property/Business owners.
- Work Order System - tracks Department of Public Work Highways work orders.
Desktop is responsible for all county departments and agencies desktop, laptops, and peripherals, such as printers, scanners, Blackberrys, etc. The team will setup and configure computers for new users as well as perform any physical work related to other locations. With remote access, the team is able to solve many service desk issues from their base location; however, at times there is still a need for on-site support visits to work on issues.
Log in to view the Harford County Government Interactive Workforce website.
Security & Virus
Computer viruses and spyware are real and infect PCs worldwide. Learning the basics of where viruses originate from and providing security measures to circumvent them are important. Review the following resources to help prevent outbreaks and becoming a victim.
Viruses are created by programmers, both amateur and professional. Amateurs often create viruses simply to show off their programming skills to the world. Professionals are increasingly creating viruses to steal information and money. There are even malicious virus writers who are seeking only to harm other people's property and livelihoods.
Protect Yourself from Viruses
You can proactively block viruses from getting into your system by taking the following all-important steps:
- Be very careful about giving out personal information online, especially credit card or banking information.
- Don't open email attachments from strangers and unknown sources. Opening spam or junk email - especially unknown attachments - risks a virus infection that could cripple your computer, damage your files or steal your personal information.
- Download responsibly. Make sure that you only download software from companies that you trust. File sharing services can be a source of infection, as can pirated software.
- Make sure you know where your information is going before sharing it, and ensure that you make all of your online purchases via secure services.
- Make sure your antivirus software is up to date because it protects you from all the latest threats.
You might have spyware or other unwanted software on your computer if:
- You experience a sudden rise in computer crashes.
- You notice a new toolbar in your browser that you didn't want, and it’s difficult to get rid of it.
- You see pop-up advertisements even when you're not on the Internet.
- Your computer takes longer than usual to complete certain tasks.
- Your Internet browser’s home page (the page your browser first opens to) or your browser search settings have changed without you knowing.
Server & Storage
Server and Storage is responsible for all servers within the county including all remote departments and agencies equipment. This includes, but is not limited to, network authentication, network shares, network resources, email accounts, and all aspects of server software. It also includes more advanced services such as storage or content management systems, and other department specific server based applications.
Service Desk is to provide front-line support for our county systems and services. The following functions are performed by the group:
- Records all necessary information about each request or problem so that calls can be logged and problems tracked to resolution.
- Research and escalate any request or problem to the next level of support in order to be resolved.
- Respond to each call or ViewIT Self Service ticket in a timely manner.
- Strive to resolve the issue during the initial call or request within a reasonable time frame.
Harford County Government departments can log their service desk requests by accessing ViewIT Self Service.
ViewITService Desk requests submitted via ViewIT Self Service are automatically entered into our system, thus increasing response time. You will receive a confirmation email message with your ticket number, plus you can check on the status of your requests at any time. To submit a Service Desk request, perform the following steps:
- Click Login
- Click How Can We Help You
- Type a description of your request
- Click Submit
Questions concerning ViewIT Self Service can be directed to our Technical Support Service Desk at extension 3237.
Gregory GreenDeputy DirectorPhone: 410-638-3213 x1222
Karissa HigbeeBudget Technician IIPhone: 410-638-3213, ext. 1276
Nicholas KubaDirectorPhone: 410-638-3213, ext. 1277
Sharon TaylorAdministrative Secretary to the DirectorPhone: 410-638-3213, ext. 1286
Steven DavisProgrammerPhone: 410-638-3213, ext. 1219
Terry DraayerSupervisor, Web And Application ServicesPhone: 410-638-3213, ext. 1234
Maria GizinskiProgrammer AnalystPhone: 410-638-3213, ext. 1231
Dawn HaagProgrammer AnalystPhone: 410-638-3213, ext. 1232
Roy LylesProgrammerPhone: 410-638-3213, ext. 1206
Patrick MatejkaProgrammer AnalystPhone: 410-638-3213, ext. 1225
Ron PieperSupervisor, Database ServicesPhone: 410-638-3213, ext. 1215
Janice RoopSenior Programmer AnalystPhone: 410-638-3213, ext. 1216
Steve SmithManager, Software and Systems DevelopmentPhone: 410-638-3213, ext. 1209
Cynthia SodusSupervisor, Software DevelopmentPhone: 410-638-3213, ext. 1217
Minh Tri TranProgrammerPhone: 410-638-3213, ext. 1278
Steve C. HeadleyGIS Coordinator, Mapping and Data ServicesPhone: 410-638-3103, ext. 1214
Peter BrownSystems Architect Team LeadPhone: 410-638-3213, ext. 1290
Steve DedeauxSystems EngineerPhone: 410-638-3213, ext. 1292
Dennis DeiacoTelecom EngineerPhone: 410-638-3213, ext. 1288
Paul DiGiacintoSystems EngineerPhone: 410-638-3213, ext. 1287
Brian SillSystems EngineerPhone: 410-638-3213, ext. 1223
George BearmanSystems EngineerPhone: 410-638-3213, ext. 1271
Matthew BocianowskiSystems EngineerPhone: 410-638-3213, ext. 1274
Rick CombsSystems EngineerPhone: 410-638-3213, ext. 1207
Ryan FlennerSystems EngineerPhone: 410-638-3213, ext. 1235
Ken HauerPart Time Computer OperatorPhone: 410-638-3213, ext. 1265
Michael HugelSystems EngineerPhone: 410-638-3213, ext. 1284
Andrew JohnsonPart Time Computer OperatorPhone: 410-638-3213, ext. 1230
Bridget McCormackService Desk Team LeadPhone: 410-638-3213, ext. 1282
Stephen WoodSystems EngineerPhone: 410-638-3213, ext. 1205