Do I need to file a personal property return?

In contrast to real property, which is valued once every three years, personal property is valued every year for tax purposes. At the beginning of each calendar year, the Maryland Department of Assessments and Taxation mails a personal property return to all businesses on record.

Even if the business does not receive this return, it is still responsible for obtaining and filing one on time. All corporations, limited liability companies (LLCs), limited liability partnerships (LLPs), and limited partnerships must file personal property returns with the Department of Assessments and Taxation.

Sole proprietorships and general partnerships must file. Not filing a return results in an estimated assessment and a possible delay in the issuance of a business license. If you are unsure whether you are required to file, please call the appropriate number listed below:

Corporations: 410-767-1170 
LLCs and LLPs: 410-767-1170 
Limited Partnerships: 410-767-1170 
Sole proprietors, general partnerships:

Show All Answers

1. Do I need to file a personal property return?
2. How far back can I request an abatement or adjustment on my business account?
3. If I am out of business, do I still have to pay the open tax bill?
4. What is an estimated assessment?
5. What is the corporate / personal property assessment based on?
6. What is the date of filing?
7. Where can I get further information on the filing and assessment of personal property?