How do you know what to plan for?

Each facility that maintains more than specified amounts of a hazardous substance in inventory that is classified as a hazardous substance by federal standards is required to report it to certain agencies. The reports are called Tier II reports and they are due prior to March 1 of each year. These reports list the chemical name, amounts stored, storage information and the hazards associated with the specific substance.

This information is sent to the local fire department serving the facility, the Local Emergency Planning Committee and to the State Emergency Response Commission. The information on the report is then reviewed by the agencies to assure the plan covers any threats that may arise from these hazards and that proper resources are maintained to respond to an emergency situation involving these substances.

Certain chemicals that can do excessive harm to public safety and the environment are listed as Extremely Hazardous Substances or EHSs. EHSs are given lower reporting amounts called Threshold Planning Quantities or TPQs, which require reporting for amounts as low as 10 pounds up to 500 pounds or more of these chemicals. Please call 410-638-4900 for more information.

Show All Answers

1. What is the Local Emergency Planning Committee?
2. Why was the LEPC formed?
3. Who serves on the LEPC?
4. What is required in a plan?
5. How do you know what to plan for?
6. How can I find out what hazards are in my community?
7. How do I obtain information on specific chemicals?
8. How do you plan for emergencies involving the transportation of chemicals?
9. How can I get help with all of my compliance requirements?
10. If there is an accident, how do I report it?
11. What should my facility plan include?
12. When is a written report required?
13. When does the LEPC meet?