Permits & Licenses

We’ve made it easier to do business in Harford County with the opening of our Permit Center for county permits, licenses and inspections.   The one-stop Permit Center expedites applications for everything from dog licenses to building permits by gathering county reviewers from several departments, including Planning & Zoning and Public Works,  into a single open workspace located on the first floor of the county’s Administrative Office Building in Bel Air. 

Customers who enter the new Permit Center are greeted by a guide who assists them through the application process.  The Center’s open floor plan streamlines communication between employees working together to review applications and gives customers a front row seat to their progress. Because the Permit Center is located on the building’s first floor near the Treasury Department window, application fees can also be paid more conveniently than when applications were processed on the second floor.

The Harford County Permit Center is located at 220 S. Main Street, Bel Air, MD 21014.  Hours of operation are Monday – Friday, 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.  For more information or questions, please call 410-638-3122.   

  1. Building Permits & Licenses

    Get permit information before starting a building or renovation project.

  2. Electrical Permits & Licenses

    Electrical Licenses are normally valid for 2 years, renewal application required prior to expiration date.

  3. Plumbing/Mechanical Permits & Licenses

    Plumbing Registration is normally valid for 2 years, renewal application required prior to expiration date.


    Offering real-time information on permits, plans & inspections from the convenience of your home, office or mobile device.

  5. Concert/Public Event Permit

    A Public Event Request Form from the Department of Planning and Zoning is required for all concerts/public events. If the concert event is to be held, conducted or performed before a gathering in excess of 2,000 spectators, a Concert/Public Event Permit is also required from the Department of Inspections, Licenses and Permits.

  6. Dog Licenses

    Get a license for your dog.

  7. Grading Permits

    A Grading Permit is required when ground disturbance exceeds 5,000 square feet or 100 cubic yards of earth.

  8. Stormwater Management Permit

    The Stormwater Management Permit is a computerized system where each agency has access to the permit information immediately.

  9. Water & Sewer Permits

    To determine if public water and/or sewer is available to your property.